Monday, February 17, 2014

What Does "Special" Really Mean?

I teach yoga and mindfulness to those with and without special needs. You get that, right? I thought I did too - until something that a yoga student said changed my mind.

I have been teaching and learning from children and young adults with and without special needs for over 15 years. When I left the classroom to begin Stretch What Matters, my mission seemed simple, "To enhance the quality of life, both mentally and physically, for all individuals regardless of age, ability or special needs through yoga."

Special is an interesting term and as I take a closer look at it, I begin to see how it can completely misrepresent an individual. The range of "special" is so great that instead of creating a consciousness of inclusivity, it creates one of exclusion. How does this affect what I do?  By creating classes for those with special needs and those without special needs, I strengthen the idea of separateness. When I separate students based on labels they have been given, I run into the problem of placing them into boxes with predetermined ceilings for growth. An interesting situation I have created for myself and those I teach . . . 

Recently, in a class I offer to 'mixed' teen girls, however the majority of whom are typically developing, a student's words reminded me that the time to lift the ceiling of what it means to be "special" is now.

At the start of class, I asked if anyone had any injuries I should be aware of. A few girls laughed and one of the laughing students admitted that she had injured herself right before class (she had slipped on some ice and had fallen pretty hard). As she quickly turned red, she placed a forced smile on her face, gave a thumbs up and announced to the class that she was, "special". I felt my breath stop and my throat tighten. There were girls in my class who had documentation to support just how special they were . . . did they feel those words?

After allowing what seemed like an awkward space of time pass, I found my breath, softened my gaze and listened for a loving response to reveal itself. What followed went something like this -

"You are special. I love that about you." 

I paused until I felt the student had heard my words. We made gentle eye contact and I witnessed her smile soften and her shoulders relax.


I continued to lovingly talk directly to the child although I knew our audience was much greater, in fact you could hear a pin drop. . .

"Your special decided to speak up today and share how you fell really hard in front of your friends. Your special was able laugh at yourself. Your special was able to pick yourself up in front of your friends and begin again. Your special is authentic and no one else's special looks like yours. Your special is a gift to you and to everyone around you." 


I paused.


As I scanned the room with my eyes, I saw and felt love looking back. 


Please do not misinterpret what I am saying - I understand that everyone has different abilities and that all of us sign up for classes we believe are most suitable for ourselves and our children (I take the process of grouping yoga students very seriously). For me personally, the moment in class encouraged me to examine something that has been stirring up in me for years. It is this idea that many people are unconsciously trained to place those with special needs into a "one size fits all" category. 


So what does "special" mean? At it's core, I believe special means the strength to be yourself in a world that often focuses on where you are not, special means knowing that you have something to teach the world, special means that your life has the power to transform others' lives, special means trusting that you are perfect and whole exactly as you are today and that your self growth is always - growing.


Here's to always looking under the label of "special"  and to honoring the gifts each of us are here to share. I found this video after completing this blog. Perfect timing. 




Elizabeth Goranson, M.S.Ed, RYT is the President of Stretch What Matters, LLC and the creator of the first visual yoga system. Elizabeth offers yoga and mindfulness programs for those with special needs. To learn more about her teacher trainings, patented yoga system and programs, please visit: www.StretchWhatMatters.com

Follow us on Facebook


Upcoming Teacher Trainings:

March 14-16, 2014 (FULL)Yoga Dimensions
Newtown, Ct
Newtown Training funded by Yoga Reaches Out for Newtown Community Members

April 11-13, 2014
Roots & Wings Yoga & Healing Arts Center, Natick, MA






No comments: